Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Hive 4 - October Block

What's your name?
Hello!  It's me again - RobinSue!  It's hard to believe it's my turn again.  Thank you for giving me another opportunity.  I enjoy being part of this group and have really learned so much from this experience.

Where do you live?
Still residing in sunny (and sometimes, too hot) southern California.


Tell us about your family (spouse, kids, grandkids, pets, etc.)
My husband and I are back to being empty nesters - our daughter returned to Colorado in August. The dogs are sad that she is gone.  Happy that they still get to frolic in the park.




Tell us how you got interested in quilting.
In thinking about what keeps me interested, I realize that I love the creative process;  designing, mixing fabrics, piecing and eventually finishing a quilt.  Last year I taught my students to quilt and it brings such joy to share the quilting love.  

Made 20 years ago!  Scissors, cardboard templates, oh my!

How do you organize your fabric stash? (Picture appreciated)
Since July I have cleaned up my act a bit.  I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.







Who is/are your favorite fabric designers?
I still don't have any one favorite.  I choose fabric by how it speaks to me, and according to what my bee mates request!

What is one thing you have learned that you wish you knew when you first started quilting?
Paper piecing!  Had I learned it years ago, I might not be so insecure about it now.

What is your favorite sewing/quilting tool and why should we all go out and buy it?
Rulers of all sizes and shapes - I can't get enough!

What is your favorite fictional character and why? (Could be from a book, movie, TV show, etc.)
Amelia Bedelia is still my favorite!  


AND HERE COMES THE TUTORIAL!
I designed a block (perhaps someone else already designed this) to use scraps with a white background.     I have no particular colors in mind for the scraps.  Use prints and/or solids.  I  ask that you stay away from holiday themed fabric.



I chose 5 different scraps.  The scraps are cut  (3) 2" x 2.5"and (2) 3.5" x 4.5"
White is cut (3) 2.5" x 4.5", (4) 2.5" x 2.5" and (3) 2.5" x 12.5"  I recommend that you cut the long strips a little longer than 12.5"   It will make it easier to trim.


Sew into rows.  Then attach the rows.   
That's it!  The block should finish at 12.5" x 12.5".   Do not worry if it is not the exact size.  (Mine isn't)  I'll trim all the blocks once I receive them.

I can't wait to see the variety of scraps from everyone!  



No comments: