Sunday, November 2, 2014

Hive 11 November Block

Sorry there are no pictures yet in this posts but I will get them in as soon as possible.

What is your name and where do you live?

Hi my name is Linh Schilling and I live in Columbus Ohio.  I'm super excited about it being my month finally.  I love being the last to go because I always have a hard time picking a block because there's so many of them.  There's so many quilts I want to make and they all would be great if I had help making all the blocks. 

Tell us about you family?

I am currently living with my husband and two little girls.  My brother in law and his girlfriend is also with us for a little while they are in between houses.  I grew up an only child so I love having a house full of people every chance I get.  My husband is super supportive of all my hobbies and this one (quilting) I think is going to stick :)

Tell us how you got interested in quilting.

I love the library, so one day I decided to check out the crochet section and right under it was the quilting books.   I just happen to pick up one and found a quilt that called to me.  And that was it folks I was addicted.  From the quilt I realized all the math and method that goes into these squares we stitch together.  I also found out how expensive this hobby was going to get.  I couldn't get enough of it so I went online to do some more research and came across a little blog you might have heard of, Crazy Mom Quilts.  Here we go it was all I needed to decide that this was what I was going to do for a while. 

How do you organize your fabric?

Most of it is on a bookshelf.  I try to do it by color. I guess its kind of everywhere.

Who is/are your favorite fabric designer/s?

I love Aneela Hoey, Heather Ross and Sarah Jane.  I love how their designs remind me of my little ones.  I'm a big fan of every designer and love everybody's fabrics.

What is the one thing you wished you knew when you first started quilting?

Honesty I wish I came across quilting sooner than I did,  I would've done something completely different in college and overall I would've been a lot happier.

What is your favorite sewing/quilting tool and why should we all go out and buy it?

My OLFA rotary cutter, 3 x 18 ruler, OLFA cutting mat, iron, and ironing mat is all I need plus my sewing machine.  With these things I can make magic.

Who is your favorite fictional character?

I love Doctor Who and Sherlock Homes.  Do I need to say anything else?

Here's my block:

It was very hard to decide my block but I decided to go with a pineapple block using a tutorial from one my most favorite blogs Crazy Mom Quilts.  This way doesn't involve paper piecing and different width of fabrics (1.25-1.75). I would like for the block to be rainbow with low volume or white and finish at 16" untrimmed please. 

Sorry for my tardiness and I hope to get some pictures up soon because who doesn't love pictures.  Thanks again for being such a great group.




 

No comments: