Monday, June 22, 2015

Hive 3 - June Christmas Block

Since July is my turn as Queen Bee, I figured I better make the June block.

I absolutely loved it and it forced me to go through my FQ and find some neutrals.



I still had some Eiffel tower strips, which is quite fitting, given that we live only 1,5h away from Paris. I wasn't sure about the pegs, but I do like them after all. I hope Sylvia does too ;)

Sylvia's wanted to know which quilt we are most proud of and why. Below is what I call the "Harry Potter - Gryffindor" quilt. It is an abstract and purely improv quilt. Frankly, I get bored easily when cutting up hundreds of 3 1/2" squares, so I began venturing into improvisational quilting to get my creative juices flowing.

The quilt measure appr. 60 x 64" and it is an abstract interpretation of Gryffindor and its colors scarlet, gold, and black. The top features one rogue block of green, which represents Slytherin, since Harry had a real chance of ending up in Slytherin. The quilting was done by me on my home machine in green Aurifil and spirals out from the rogue Slytherin patch to show the ripple effect and the influence Parseltongue had on Harry.

At the bottom left, I balanced the Deathly Hallows with the upper right block, again in the same green print to highlight the link between the houses and the fact that Harry was also a Horcrux. It is bound in dark green.

The back of the quilt is held in Gryffindor colors, decorated with handwritten quotes from the books, such as "You might belong in Gryffindor, where dwell the brave at heart, their daring, nerve and chivalry, set Gryffindor's apart..." and quotes from Dumbledore, like "It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more." Since the quilt was a high school graduation gift for my little sis-in-law, my children drew graduation pictures, hand prints, etc.






3 comments:

helenjean@midgetgemquilts said...

as a fellow reader of the harry potter books, I love your quilt. Just popped over from hive 2 to admire your block and was delighted to see this

Sylvia said...

I love the block, and your quilt is seriously amazing! So much thought clearly went into it!

mumziepooh said...

How wonderful! I'm a huge Potter fan, too!