Friday, April 15, 2016

January blocks for Sylvia

Hello Bees!

Better late than never for sharing Sylvia's blocks with you, right? A Union Jack quilt has been on my want-to-make list for quite some time, so I was glad for the chance to try it out. I love that this particular block is anatomically correct. (Thanks, Molly Sparkles!) It would've been so embarrassing to finish my Union Jack quilt and have a British friend point out that the flags are all wrong.

Here are Sylvia's blocks.


I decided to make my blocks in Kaffe Fassett collective fabric + solids. These are the first two.


Now for a little bit about me:

I'm Laura West Kong from Southern California. My daughter is a cat rescuer, and we have 3 lovely feline friends that she has saved, Mocha, Fabian, and Tazzy. They love to help me me make quilts, especially Tazzy, the baby. I posted a pic on Flickr so you can see them in all their quilty action.

I've been quilting off and on since 1997. Love to teach and share my techniques. Quilting takes up most of my crafty time, but I enjoy all kinds of creative endeavors when I get the chance: painting, knitting, photography, just to name a few.

I don't really go for entire fabric lines. Instead, I prefer to mix things up and tell my own story through the fabrics I select for a quilt.

My fave methods of quilting are free-motion on my little Nolting longarm (Tazzy loves my Nolting too. Check her out here.) and also hand quilting, regular and big stitch.

I'm @laurawestkong on most social media. Here's where you can find me:
website/blog: www.laurawestkong.com
instagram
twitter
pinterest
and my new fave, ello

Fave book is difficult. How can I choose just one? At the moment, my fave show to binge watch is Chopped. Creativity and food, what's not to like? There's nothing better to watch when hand finishing a quilt binding!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Loved the pictures of the kitties..... So cute